Dear Relaxed sisters,
I mainly blog about natural hair, but when a friend told me that she cannot live without weaves because her hair just won’t grow (myth). I gave her the tips that I always state for naturals.
I was relaxed for 6 years before I decided to natural so trust me I reckon with the relaxer struggle. Below are ways one can take care of their relaxed hair to afford to see their hair healthier:
1. Please ladies relax your hair at least after 4-6 months. Narrow down the relaxing to 3 times in a year,maximum. We tend have this bad hair behaviour of always wanting to retouch every growth we see, stop it! Know this is chemical we put in our hair and hence the minimal times the better for not only our hair but the scalp as well.
2. When relaxing, retouch only the hair growth. If you find yourself over doing it, apply coconut oil to the already relaxed hair as you retouch your new growth so as to avoid damaging the rest of the relaxed hair.
3. Try Co-Washing. Co-washing is a procedure where you wash your hair without shampoo (conditioner only). This helps you keep away from the harsh and drying effect of shampoos. Co-wash at least once a month, utmost twice a month. Avoid touching your scalp with conditioner unless, your scalp is super dry. Target the ends of your hair,they are the oldest.
4. Avoid heat. I often say this about hair, and hopefully you will learn. Make the contact of your hair with heat, as minimal as you possibly can. At all times when you have to use heat on your hair, make sure you apply a heat protectant. I always, recommend the CHI heat protectanct because it works well with my sisters natural hair as well as mine.
5. Deep condition/treat your hair atleast twice a month. You can even add a leave in- conditioner after deep conditioning for further stregnth and silkiness. Look for water based conditioners, because water is the ultimate moisturizer.
Below is a Photo of my relaxed hair: Early 2014.
6.Again, Deep Condition: Do this at least twice a month, to ensure that your hair is well conditioned and grows out healthy and strong.Yes, I just had to say this twice, to show how much it is of importance.
7. Moisturize: make sure you moisturize your hair, apply some water or leave in conditioner, of choice, then seal the water in with oil of your preference, then wrap it up with a cream. You can do this every day before bedtime or atleast thrice a week. See my article on the moisturizing hair using the LOC method.
8. Protective Styles; Make sure you don’t wear your hair out in the cold, or in extremely windy weather conditions. Use protective styles. They include: include Bantu knots, cornrows, braiding among other styles.
9. Use silk or satin pillowcases to avoid the friction that causes hair breakage as we sleep. Also cotton tends to suck moisture from our hair and hence leaving your hair dry. Dry hair breaks.
10. Drink Plenty of Water and Eat a balanced diet. This always sounds so cliché, but it works. You are what you eat, eat and drink healthy and you will get healthy and strong hair, not to mention the skin.
In my later blog, I will provide you guys with foods that promote healthy hair and skin.
My own found harsh but true fact:No matter how well you maintain relaxed hair, it always fail one at some point. Relaxing hair is providing a temporal solution to a permanent problem, but with these tips up here, it will definitely delay or better yet prevent future unexpected disappointments. Just my experience, don’t judge
Any response tweet me @irenekamau78. Best Wishes!!